The best & free online CSV to Excel converter converts the CSV format file to Excel data/Excel file format.
Please copy and paste the CSV data, or upload the CSV file to convert it into an Excel format.
What is CSV, and why is CSV used?
CSV, comma-separated values file, is a delimited text file in which values are separated using the commas. Each line in that file contains the data record. Each record contains the fields separated by each other with a comma.
The CSV file contains the .csv extension and is used with most spreadsheets programs, like Microsoft Excel or Google Spreadsheets.
Because it converts the tabular data into plain text, companies export a high volume of data into a more robust database, such as customers or orders data, to and from their database, using that file extension.
Facebook and other social media advertising platforms like Google AdWords also support the .csv file extension data.
What is Excel, and why is Excel used?
Excel is one of the best Microsoft Office products. That program is widely used by people in the accounting or analytics field.
Its code name was Odyssey during its development, and it was first released in 1985.
One can highly depend on and recommend the Excel program for any numeric data calculations because it is easy to use and deals with complex mathematical structures relatively simple and easy way. It provides you with a hell of functions to perform your task. You can easily create tables and spreadsheets from simple to complex.
Excel format contains .xls or .xlsx, depending on your Excel version. The data is stored in an Excel file in table and spreadsheet form.
CSV VS Excel
- The main difference between CSV and Excel is in file format. CSV is a comma-separated values file that contains the value separated by commas. Excel is a binary file format that includes all the worksheets in the file, including the content and formatting.
- In CSV, you can only store the data. It does not contain the formatting and formulas, etc. However, in excel, you keep the data and apply some formulas and formatting to the data.
- CSV saves the tabular data into delimited text form, in .csv extension. Whereas, in excel, the data is saved tabular form in .xls or .xlsx extension.
- A CSV file is preferred to export or import a high volume of data from the database. However, to bring the data in a detailed standardized form, excel is preferred.
- The text editor supports the .csv extension, but you cannot use a text editor to open the Excel file format. Microsoft Excel program supports Excel files.
- Excel consumes more memory than CSV while importing the data.
- You cannot directly link the CSV file with external sources. In contrast, you can easily connect an excel file with external sources to get the input data. You can also perform the data extraction by directly linking to external sources.
- CSV is plain text. It does not allow any data manipulation. However, in excel, you can perform data manipulation for data analysis.
- In the CSV file, you write the column headers once. However, in an Excel file, you have a start tag and end tag for each column in each row.
- Most of the time, professionals use CSV files in data analysis or visualizations. In contrast, Excel is used by non-specialists and professionals based on their requirements and the purpose of work.
Why is CSV to Excel conversion essential?
Suppose you run a retail business, where the number of shops is connected to the point of sale (POS) server. Customers come to your local shops and make a purchase. All your data is gathered in a centralized backend database. Suppose, in the end; you want a detailed report of the orders and the customers that made the purchase.
The server provides you the response, the majority of times, in three formats. CSV, XML and JSON. However, XML and JSON are widely used formats. But sometimes, you must convert it into CSV format to display the data in Excel further.
The CSV file contains the tabular data in plain text format; you cannot apply formulas or formatting to that file. However, Excel is a widely used program for data analysis purposes. Therefore, apply the formatting and formulas for data analysis to get the data in a human-readable tabular form. The conversion from CSV to Excel is essential.
How to use the best & free online CSV to Excel converter?
Conversion is fun. The online tools help convert CSV string/CSV file format into the Excel file format.
To do this, do the following steps.
- Open the best & free online CSV to Excel converter.
- You can either copy-paste the CSV code, use the "Load from the URL" option, or use the "Browse" option to upload the CSV file.
- After uploading the CSV data, click on the "Convert to Excel" button to convert the CSV file format into the Excel file format.
- The tool will automatically convert the CSV data into the Excel file format and drop the excel file into your device.
- Please copy the downloaded file, and paste it into the desired location for further use.
How can the Load Sample Data option be used in CSV to Excel converter?
First, always use some sample data to check the tool's working. To check the working of the CSV to Excel converter, do the following steps.
- Click on the "Load Sample Data" button.
- The sample data in the CSV format will appear in the upper section.
- Click on the "Convert to Excel" button to convert the CSV file format into Excel file format to get the sample result.
- The tool will automatically convert the CSV data into the Excel file format and drop it to your device.
Perform we keep a copy of your source code?
Protecting user trust is our top priority. We do not keep a copy of the source code the user pastes for the CSV to Excel conversion.